What you are witnessing is the participation of "Trends" (See the screen grab below), and it is not only fun to participate in them but participating can connect you with strangers, gain followers, and increase your broadcast visibility.
To participate in trends, here is a step-by-step guide:
- Find the Trends section on your homepage. Find one that interests you, and click on the link. (For instance for this example, I clicked on "#ThingsThatMightAnnoyADem.") Then you will see a feed of all the recent usages of that trending hashtag. These tweets come from people you may know/follow, but oftentimes, this feed will show you a slew of strangers.
- You can connect with strangers by Retweeting the tweets you like. Once you Retweet them, they will know you interacted with them, and they may reply or Follow you.
- You can also find new people to follow through the feed. If you like what they have to say, go ahead and Follow them and maybe they will Follow you back.
- To participate in the trend, write your tweet and include the trending hashtag. If you wrote the hashtag correctly, once you click on the published tweet's hashtag, it should take you to the respective Trends page.
- If you wrote unique content, there is a high possibility that people will Retweet or Follow you. To retain their attention, send them a Thank You by writing a tweet and mentioning them. Also, follow back.
- Lastly, never plagiarize another person's tweet and try to pass it off as your own. That's a big no-no. Also, avoid sending out too many trending tweets. I would recommend no more than 5, unless the trend is a top 10 list or something like that.
Follow me on twitter at @teresalo_tweets
"Like" me on Facebook!
Social Media 101: Twitter vs Facebook
Twitter 201: Key Functions and words to know
How do I copyright my work?
What are some good websites to self-publish my work?